Thursday, July 26, 2012

Wrong Hospital

"For me?"  I ask somewhat taken aback.
"Yes, you can use that phone over on the far wall.  It'll ring in a minute for you."

It rings.  For me.  In the emergency room.  That's crazy. 

"Hello?"
"Is Mike there, yet?"
"What?"  (Oh no, here we go again...)

All I said was 'Hello' and already this conversation wasn't making any sense.

"Who is this?"

There is some hesitation on the other end of the line.

"It's Michelle."

Michelle?  I don't think Mikey's ever mentioned someone named Michelle.  Maybe I'm just a bit vengeful, but by golly if I could not have access to my own son when I am in person in the emergency room, this Michelle character is going to have to tell me who she is before I let her talk to my son lying bleeding on a gurney.  Maybe she had something to do with this.  I've never heard him - or any of his friends - mention anyone by the name of "Michelle".  But, maybe I didn't hear her right.

"Michelle who?"  I ask.
"Just....Michelle."

No;  no, no, no!  Look, I'm not one of those moms who has to know every little detail of my grown kids' lives, but because I have never heard him mention a Michelle ever, and because he is actively bleeding in this emergency room, and because I have no idea who shot him, why he was shot, or how he could be in a situation to even be shot...without a full name, she will not be talking to Mikey.  I have decided.

"Well, ok Michelle, he's over on the other side of the room, and I just got here myself and haven't had a chance to talk to him, but his sisters are here..."
"No, Mike is on the way there -"

Mike is on the way?  What is this girl talking about?  I am not in any kind of mood to play games with these people who don't want to tell me who they are, and then say weird things to me.

"He went to the wrong hospital, but he's on his way."

Wait a minute.  Mike is on his way?  He got lost?  This is not Mikey's friend...this is Mike's new wife.  Oh geez...she didn't want to tell me her last name because it's the same as mine now.  Seriously?  My son could be dying not 10 feet away from me and we're going to go there?  How shallow and hateful does she think I am?  Why would she think that I would care that she would be giving me information?  Wow.  Just wow.

"Michelle!  Oh my god, don't do that to me!  You're talking about Mike not Mikey!  What do you mean he went to the wrong hospital?"

And the conversation goes from there.  I don't know whether to be glad or mad or what.  So, I am relieved.  Relieved because finally the conversation makes sense - sort of.  At least it's understandable. I thank her and tell her to tell Mike we are in the emergency room and that he should just say that he talked to me and I told him to come.  I don't want him to have to go through what I did.  And, apparently, he's been trying to get hold of me, and my cell phone wouldn't ring - which explains why I got the phone call in the emergency room...well...no it doesn't, really, but I'm finding that as long as I don't try to think too hard, things will go better inside my head.  I need something to go better somewhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment