Saturday, July 18, 2009

Life - Turned Upside-Down

I thought my life was topsy-turvy before last Wednesday. I've been warned about "thinking". Now, I know what "topsy-turvy" really means. Just when you think your life can't get any more complicated, suddenly, a little life-lesson comes along. Thing is, that little warning in your head, the one that says, "I simply can't add or do one more thing or else I'll turn into a screaming, drooling dement," (what? You don't have that thought - ever?!) is usually a warning signal that "one more thing" is on its way.

Take last Monday, for example. I live in Oklahoma, land of Central Air. Naturally, in the 100+ degree heat, my air conditioner begins to fail. Luckily, it never quit completely, but a few days of 90-degrees-in-the-house-at-night convinced me that a professional intervention was necessary. My washing machine, being a mechanical "drama queen", overheard the talk of an appointment to fix the air conditioning unit (they have always been jealous of each other, I believe), so began spewing water all over the floor during all of the wringing cycles. "Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink..." This vexed me.

Add to that the fact that payday would not be until Wednesday -- well, my anxiety level was rising considerably. I got to work that morning and thought, "If one more thing happens, I will turn into a screaming, drooling dement!" Uh oh...I should have known...but I was too caught up in the "AARRRGHH" of the situation. After a few minutes, I had a vision. I would call "Roto-Rooter" and "McBee Heating & Air" today and schedule them for Wednesday -- that way, I reasoned, I will be first on the list, and be able to get them both in the morning instead of the nebulous, "Sometime before 5pm", and I would be able to get back to work without using a whole day of vacation time. I could survive the heat and wet two more days if I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel. Genius! But, I had already had "the thought". Little did I know...

Tuesday, as I was getting ready to leave work, I said to my boss, "Remember, I'll be late tomorrow, because of the two repair jobs I've scheduled." She said, "Yeah, I won't see you tomorrow." Hmmm....I think she jinxed me.

Wednesday, I was jarred awake at 7am by the phone. "Wow," I thought groggily, "They sure start early." Nope. It was my son. "Mom...." he croaked, "I need you to come and get me...I can't walk...I'm hurting..."

My first thought? "NO! I've got Roto-Rooter and McBee coming out today!"

I am a bad mom. I was about to pay for that ugly thought...I just didn't know it, yet.

2 comments: